Saturday, April 10, 2010

FAS Ambassadors

During the past four days, I was doing FAS Ambassadors. My job was to call newly admitted students to welcome them to SFU and answer questions they might have about the university experience.

I summarized my experience in a report as follow:

1. Student Response: How they did respond to your call? Were they nervous to speak to you? If so, how did you put them at ease during the conversation?

The student response varies. I don't think any of them were nervous (I guess this is because the call is from a student, and just to welcome them), they were more like "don't know what to ask or what do talk about".

Most of the time, when I asked "Do you have any questions", they would be like "No, not at this moment." In order to continue the conversation and guide them through, I would ask whether they have been to SFU campus before and invite them to our events, ( e.g. the information evening, Bits & Bytes ). I would also ask if they have paid the deposit and if they have gotten SFU Computing ID. Usually, it gives some time for the questions popping up to their mind.

Sometime, the students are at the stage of waiting for other school's answer or deciding which school should they go to. In these cases, I would encourage them to come to our information evening or Bits&Bytes events. I would tell them attending these events helps them to find out more about SFU, as they can talk to other SFU students and be shown around the campus.

There are cases (not too many though) when the students were thrilled and really curious about life here in SFU. They would ask many questions regarding various issues. This is the best case. I would just talk about my own experience in SFU, tips that I feel useful, and recommend the student groups ( e.g. WEG, WICS and CSSS).




2. Questions asked:What kinds of questions were asked by the students? Did any of the questions require follow-up from and Academic/Admissions Advisors?

- Questions regarding transcripts (they received a request about rtanscript)
- Course Selection
- Program or major
- is it easy to change the program or major
- what is it like to be in Computing Science/Engeering Science. what do you study
- are the courses hard
- Admission question:
- Registration Deposit Payment Deadline
- Is the deposit fee refundable / What would happen if I paid the fee but not coming to SFU
- What would happen if I pass the deadline
- Scholarship, enrtance scholarship specifically
- U-pass
- how much
- what are the available parking lots
- Parking ( adults students usually. Parking fees, parking slot availability)
- Civil Engeering ( Many BGSAP students asked about that )


3. Resources: What additional resources would have been helpful during your call? What things could have been addressed during the training session to prepare you for talking to students? What other information might have been useful to know about the students you were calling? Did it help to know if they were confirmed or registered?

- Yes. I think information of student is definitely helpful, like if they were confirmed or registered, which campus is your program located, which program do they register at, what is their current status.
- Informationa about student adimission office operatiing hours and phone number is helpful too, since many students asked about it.
- A piece of additional information, to call Victoria phone number, i.e. 250-, dial 8 before the phone number

4. Stats for each night (ie how many students you spoke with, left message for, emailed...etc anything that will help with planning).

The first day was very tiring. I was just making calls. I think it is a better idea to mix the phone call and emailing every night, versus just do one thing the whole night.
I feel the following days are better.

5. Overall volunteering experience.

I was a very cool and different experience. I had many interesting and engaged conversations and interaction.

Take some cases as examples:

- I was impressed by one student who has very good knowledge about computing science and it was fun to talk to him about some of the projects I have been involved in. I am glad that I can inspire him in someway and help him gain a better insight of what computing science is like. I also introduced DDP to him and encouraged him to check it out.
- There was one girl who sounded very uncertain and not sure what she should go for. She was worrying about the math part of computing science. I gave her some tips, told her the very good advising service we have in CS department, and also talked about WICS. I think I have helped her to relieve some concerns and worries, and make her more exciting about her university life.
- I was assigned to email some international students. One Karean student who enrolled in DDP replied my email, and also added me on facebook to ask questions through online chatting. I am also glad that I was able to share some of my experience from an international students' perspective of view, as I went through the similar frustrations he has right now.

I also found this volunteering experience is beneficial for myself. I gained different working experience, pratised skills of talking to different people through the phone and guiding them through a conversation, learned things that I didn't know about SFU before and promoted WICS. Doing this ambassoder work makes me feel more involved in the community. The dinner part at end of the day was awesome too. I got to know other FAS students (who I probably won't get a chance to meet otherwise).

Overall, I think this is very well-orgranized. It is good idea to assign students to the volunteers with similar background. Emailing is a good way to greeting students who are abroad or students that we don't have phone number of. It was my pleasure to be part of this and help the upcoming students in SFU.

No comments:

Post a Comment