Thursday, April 1, 2010

Entrepreneurship & Technology Commercialization workshop feedback

I just attended the Entrepreneurship & Technology Commercialization workshop on March 12, 19 & 26 at SFU Harbour Centre. This 3-day workshop is organized by the Faculty of Applied Sciences in collaboration with the British Columbia Innovation Council, and the intended is to provide students with intensive, applied training in technology entrepreneurship, product management and commercialization.

Overall, it was a very valuable experience for me.
The course content is well organized and covers various aspects and mainly focuses on technology commercialization. For me, the best part is the interaction with entrepreneurs. The students get paired up with entrepreneurs, working on their real business cases, which definitely brings me valuable hand-on experience and helps to get more insights of the industry. In addition, the networking with them is very beneficial.

However, I feel like the courses are very intense as there are only 3 days in total. The schedule of a day from 9 to 5pm is a little overwhelming. I easily lost my attention and got tired during the class. Moreover, I haven't taken any business classes, thus have very little business background. Sometime, it is hard to follow the lectures. So maybe a schedule based on half-a-day session would work out better.

The case studies are good and valuable. But without enough background knowledge, I lost track of the story. Maybe it would be better some brief introduction of the companies can be included in the slides for case studies.

But again, overall, it was a very informative and helpful workshop. I really appreciated the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment