Thursday, March 25, 2010

XX evening event

I just came back from a social networking event, XX Evening at TELUS World of Science. XX evening is an annual event hosted by SCWIST (Society of Canadian Women in Science and Technology).
During the event, there are 30 Wonder Women (I really like the name!) who are working in technology related field. Participants get the opportunity to chat with these Wonder Women about their careers in science, engineering and technology.
Women there are from various fields, programmers, engineers, researchers, entrepreneur, writers, managers and ... It was very exciting to see so many women in technology gather around with a big variety.
The event starts with a panel discussion. Four panelists talked about what their typical day look like, how do they get into technology, how do they overcome black holes in the lives, and etc.
After that, the social networking was fun. I talked to a couple of wonder women and trying to get some sponsorship for Try/Catch. Especially, I talked to a lady who is running tutor company and brought up that sponsoring Try/Catch can be very beneficial to her company as we will have 50 highschool girls coming up to the event. She seems interested and we just need to follow up with her.
The last part of the evening was a IMAX movie, Ultimate Wave Tahiti. It is my first time watching IMAX movie. So cool and I really enjoyed it!
Over all, it is a very good experience. I think the best part is it is local in Vancouver. Like I even came across my previous colleague from IBM, which is very nice!
After a 5 hour event, I am feeling exhausted but I feel like to write down my experience when it is still fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment